Effective March 29, 2019, Michigan’s Paid Medical Leave Act (PMLA) requires covered employers to provide paid medical leave to their eligible employees. Key facts include:
- The new law applies to employers with 50 or more employees.
- Employees accrue one hour of paid medical leave for every 35 hours worked.
- A PMLA workplace poster must be present and visible.
- Employers are not required to pay out an employee’s unused paid medical leave upon termination.
- Employees are permitted to carry over up to 40 hours of unused time year over year.
Those excluded under PMLA include:
- Salaried exempt employees.
- Employees covered under a collective bargaining agreement.
- Employees who primarily work outside of Michigan.
- Part-time and seasonal employees.
While the new PMLA law may be difficult and complex to administer, employers should implement proper procedures and company policies to remain compliant. An employer who fails to provide paid medical leave is subject to a $1,000 administrative fine.
Contact Human Capital with any specific questions.